The User Input Task is an activity that assigns a task to be completed (using a form) to a user or a group.
To configure the User Input Task component, right-click the User Input Task and select Properties — OR — double-click the component on the designer canvas.
- The Configure User Input Task dialog box is displayed.
The General tab allows you to name and describe the node.
Enter a new name for the node, by typing it in the Name field.
- When additional languages are enabled, a tab for each language appears on the General tab.
- If so, the Name field must be populated for each language.
- Otherwise (should you ever need to troubleshoot an instance running in a different language) you will be unable to distinguish between nodes in your process reports and alerts.
To configure the activity as a quick task, see also: Creating a Quick Task.
Additional Configuration Options
To configure the remaining options for the User Input Task, complete the following:
- Select the Assignment Tab and assign the task to a user or group.
- Select the Forms tab.
- Select an interface using search or browse. You can also enter an expression.
- Leave the "Allow users to save a draft of in-progress tasks" checkbox selected if you would like to give users the ability to save a draft of the task before submission. This is only applicable if you are saving user inputs into Activity Class Parameters.
- Select option "Capture location on submission (only supported in Appian for Mobile Devices)" if you would like to capture the location from where the user submits the task when using the Appian for Mobile Devices application.
- From the Data tab, under the Inputs section, create process variables for storing your node input data.
- Select the New Process Variable button next to the Save Into list.
- Type the name of the process variable in the Name field.
Capturing Task Submission Location
When the option "Capture location on submission (only supported in Appian for Mobile Devices)" is enabled,
Submission Location result data is available in the Outputs section of the Data tab.
Submission Location has the following fields:
- location: The geographical location from where the task is submitted. This is only available when the task is submitted from Appian for Mobile Devices application. It has the following fields:
- latitude: The latitude, measured in degrees.
- longitude: The longitude, measured in degrees.
- altitude: The altitude, measured in meters.
- horizontalAccuracy: The radius of uncertainty for the location, expressed in meters.
- verticalAccuracy: The uncertainty in the altitude value of the location, expressed in meters.
- isAvailable: Indicates whether location is captured for the submitted task. Returns
true if location is captured,
- errorStatus: Indicates the reason for missing location. This field is only populated if the isAvailable is
false. It can have one of the following values:
- NOT_AUTHORIZED: Indicates that access to location services was denied by the user from the mobile application.
- NOT_AVAILABLE: Indicates that the location could not be obtained.
- NOT_SUPPORTED: Indicates that the task was submitted from web or from an older version of the mobile application.
- DISABLED_BY_ADMINISTRATOR: Indicates that the system administrator has disabled the 'Enable Location Capture' option from the Appian Administrator Console.
To reference the submission location elsewhere in the process model, the
Submission Location result must be mapped to a process variable.
- From the Data tab, select the Outputs section
- From under the Results list, select the
Submission Location output. From the Result Properties section, save the output in a process variable of type
LocationResult. You can also create a new process variable to store the submission location by clicking on the New process variable button.
It is possible to configure a form with approve or deny buttons that store a value when the form is submitted. You can also configure a User Input Task to allow inline task approval. These different task approval procedures use different settings.
Using the Submit and Button components, you can store a value when the user submits your form, such as
true for Approve or
false for Deny.
Inline task approval is only relevant to forms created with the Forms Designer, which was deprecated in 16.3.
The tasks you create with the User Input Task activity can be approved inline when the task is displayed on the Tempo and mobile interfaces by selecting the Allow inline task approval in Tempo checkbox on the Forms tab.
- When the task is displayed in Tempo and mobile interfaces, an Approve option is displayed for the task.
Use a custom output to save a value when the approval task is submitted inline.
- Any values intended to be saved by your form are cleared when the user submits the task as an inline approval.