This page provides details about what you can do from the Objects View of Appian Designer. See Design Objects for a full list of application objects.
The objects view allows you to locate design objects across all applications in the environment. This view is useful for finding a single specific object quickly and editing it or adding it to an application.
Searching and Filtering
The view initially returns no objects and will display objects only after you perform a search or apply filters, which are available in the left-hand pane. By default, your search term(s) will run against object names and descriptions. However, you can change what you would like to search against using the search options available next to the search icon. See Designer Search for more information about what you can do.
The object list displays a paging grid of twenty-five objects, initially sorted by most recently modified. The object list returns five columns:
- Object Type Icon A quick reference visual indication of each object's type.
- Name The name of the object as a hyperlink to open the object.
- Description The description of an object. Descriptions longer than 96 characters are truncated. Hovering over the description will show its entire value as a tool tip
- Last Modified The default sort field of the grid. Shows Designers who last modified the object and when.
- Selection Box Checking the selection box of an object lets the Designer to perform various object options.
Designers can toggle between a flat or hierarchical view of their objects within the Application view or the Objects view. By default, the view is flat and displays all objects. Switching to the hierarchical view will display only the top-level objects and hide the rest, so that you can more easily navigate folder hierarchies. This toggle is located in the upper right-hand corner above the object list.
When an object is marked for selection, options will appear above the objects list. Multiple objects can be selected at one time, which will allow for bulk operations. However, not all options support bulk operation.
The following options available in the Objects view:
- Add to App (Multiple)- Allows one or more objects to be added to any application that the Designer has rights to.
- Security (Single-choice)- Opens a security modal that allows designers to adjust the security of an object. Designers must have at least administrative privileges on a selected object.
- Dependents (Single-choice)- Opens an new view that lets Designers see what object or objects depend on the selected object.
- Precedents (Single-choice)- Opens an new view that lets Designers see what object or objects the selected object depends on.
- Delete (Multiple)- Allows one or more objects to be deleted.
- When multiple objects are selected, a warning modal will appear that tells Designer of other possible deletions as a result of this action.
- More (Single-choice or Multiple)- Provides additional object specific operations:
- Properties (Single-choice)- Opens a property modal for Documents, Folders, and Groups that allow Designers to view and edit object property.
- Versions (Single-choice)- Opens a versions modal that allow designers to open previous versions of objects. Connected Systems, Constants, Decisions, Documents, Expression Rules, Integrations, Interfaces, Process Models, and Web APIs all have a versioning capability.
- New Version (Single-choice)- Lets Designers upload a new version of a selected document. The new version of the object will retain the same local ID, but will point to a different file.
- Rename (Single-choice)- Lets Designers rename an object. Exclusive to rule-based objects. This operation will also update any expression that's calling an object with the new object name. Connected Systems, Constants, Decisions, Expression Rules, Integrations, and Interfaces can all be renamed.
- Download (Multiple)- Documents only. Lets Designers download one or multiple Documents.
- View Documentation (Single-choice)- Process Models only. Generates a process model documentation report, which will open in a new tab.